Friday, January 25, 2008

On this day in Our Islands History

In 1983, in an article in Le Radar, the weekly newspaper for the French speaking population of the Islands, wrote of the eventual demolition of the old Presbyter of Amherst. They were advocating for it's survival the same year. For the most part, those who did not pay for it's maintenance, wanted to keep the building standing. The others, the church goers, didn't have the financial means to maintain the building.

- From the chronicle's of historian Father Frédéric Landry
Événements Historiques Agenda (Septembre 1993 à Septembre 1994)

This reminds me of the difficulties that the Anglican Church is having here in Grosse Isle and again here in Old Harry. The churches are suffering from the lack of funds required to maintain the buildings. I'm guilty of not holding up my end of the financial burden. On my behalf, I'm not making the money that the churches are making, even without the volunteers. However, it still stands that the church at Old Harry is having difficulty maintaining its congregation each Sunday and therefore there is very little in the collection plate. I love the little church and would really hate to see its destruction, but I know I can't help, at this time. I have been asked to create a souvenir booklet of the Magdalen Islands and the proceeds of the sale going to the churches. I was going to pass on it but this post has made me stop and think about it....

If anyone has any ideas on the subject, please feel free to make suggestions in the comment section of this posting!

No comments: